Two hedgehogs confirmed dead due to poison found at the University. The source of the poison is supposedly the cat food laid out near the arts department and Old Humanities.
Last week Maya Spiteri Dalli came across a hedgehog, he was near the feeding area for the cats. “I was walking to a lecture and I stopped by the cats and I saw him there trembling” said Maya. Knowing that hedgehogs are an endangered species Maya called her friends who then contacted the Nature Trust – FEE Malta.
The next day they were informed that the hedgehog had succumb to the poison.
Insite Malta contacted the Nature Trust for further comment. “2 adults died within a month – symptoms DID indicate poisoning according to vet. Both from ringroad of Uni (different locations).” Said a representative of the trust.
Insite Malta was then put in touch with Vince Attard the Secretariat for the NGO. “At university we often get calls for injured hedgehogs or chameleons or bats etc. However lately we had two hedgehogs that died from poisoning. This is similar to sadly other areas like Zurrieq and Xemxija.
Hedgehogs like cat food a lot and they eat it” said Attard.
“This is the first time we are noting poisoning and assume this is similar to other sites where such cases are close to cat feeding stations. Whoever does such actions should be condemned and charge with animal cruelty” said Attard.
Attard continued to say that Wied Ghollieqa is a Nature Reserve and so anyone poisoning the animals is simply doing it out of spite.
The final question that needs answering is who is poisoning the cats’ food?