Calling all new students at the University of Malta! If you’re confused and have no idea what to do once lectures start, never fear, because Insite has a few tips for you to get started during Freshers Week.
- Make sure to download the UM app to have the campus map. You’ll probably need it to get around campus for the first week of lectures. If need be, make sure to leave your house early to get to your lecture hall on time.
- Do not buy any stationery. At all. You will get loads of free stationery during Fresher’s Week, especially pens. You will have a year’s supply of pens and tons of notebooks.
- When it comes to applying for your study units, you will find the timetables online, so make sure none of your study units clash. Download to FreeHour app to sort out your study units.
- When applying for optionals, go to eSims and find the Study Units Database to see what’s available. There are a lot of optionals available to apply for, so branch out and choose something that’s not from your course!
- If you have any technical problems with your UM account, the wifi or eSims, head down to IT Services and they’ll fix whatever issue you may have.
- Do not buy all of the books on the program of studies list. Some books are not obligatory, or can be found cheap online. There is also the library, where you can check out textbooks and renew them.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, especially to your lecturers. Lecturers like it when their students ask questions and create discussion. It makes lectures interesting.
- Make new friends from your course! Hang out on quad! Get to know the international and Erasmus students! Most Erasmus students love to go to Paceville on a Thursday, so make plans!
- Keep an eye out for the date to apply for an Erasmus program. The Erasmus Office will surely send out plenty of emails and organize meetings to inform students about the financial aid and the process to apply.
Insite welcomes all the new students to the University of Malta and wishes them a great scholastic year!