It is officially September! Many Gozitan students have probably found an apartment to rent out in Msida or Swatar by now, but if you haven’t yet, never fear, there’s still time until the scholastic year begins. For the fresh Gozitan students who will be attending the University of Malta this year for the first time, here are some tips on what to do to start off.
- Don’t Panic – the University of Malta is a new place for you, but it is not extremely big; you won’t get lost. Ideally, for the first two days of Fresher’s Week before lectures start to walk around campus and try to find the buildings where your lectures are held.
- Go to Fresher’s Week – make yourself aware of the many student organizations on campus, and maybe join one too! Student activism is a great way to understand the system of how university works and meet new people. Also, loads of freebies.
- Visit the GUG Stand – GUG can answer any questions you may have, especially regarding the process on how to apply for the Gozitan Student Grant.
- Download the Tallinja app – the X1 is never on time, therefore the timetable at the bus station is irrelevant. Make sure to download the Tallinja app to check out the exact time the bus is going to pass by the bus station.
- Do not catch the X1 from Skate Park – for the first few weeks of University, the X1 will most likely be full, so catch the bus from Gateway. Well, even throughout the year.
- Make new friends! – there are plenty of new and fresh people in your class, as well as on campus in general, so don’t hesitate to meet new people and get to know them.
- Paceville – of course, Paceville will be a place you are going to go to often whilst you’re at University. Make sure to attend GUG’s Wicked Wednesday during Fresher’s Week.
- Do not bring your food from Gozo every week – there are plenty of supermarkets, stationery shops and cafes around the University of Malta.
- Make sure to stop by the Msida Marina sometime – whenever you’re stressed, a nice walk around the marina is a good way to chill down and grab an ice-cream from the Busy Bee.
Insite wishes you a good scholastic year! Good luck!